Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Little R&R


This week off from classes has been rather enjoyable.  My days were filled with sleeping in, surfing the internet, drawing, and a handful of trips into town.  Excellent days, in my book!  Nancy went on a trip to Iguazu with eight other girls for the week and came back yesterday (Saturday) afternoon.  I was glad to have her back here.  I felt like I didn't really do too much without her here but I'm okay with that.

Tuesday afternoon, I met with my Argentine speaking partner, Anabelia, downtown and we went to two art museums, Museo Palacio Ferreyra and Museo Emilio Caraffa.  The Palacio Ferreyra is absolutely gorgeous!  I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures this time but I will most likely be going back there so there will be some coming, I'm sure.  Museo Emilio Caraffa had more modern art which is nice because I really don't see very much modern art.  (I'll probably be going back there, too!)  Plus, students get in free on Wednesdays so count me in!

My favorite exhibit by far was called "Hiela" (Ice) by Rodrigo Fierro.  It was a photography exhibit in which he froze varying plants (mostly flowers) in ice, typically in the shape of a cylinder.  I tried to look up some of his work on the internet to show you all pictures but sadly could only find one example (below).  Hopefully I'll be back to the museum soon enough to take some pictures of my favorite works!

Credit: LaVoz.com.ar

Between watching movies, Skyping friends and family, and finding new US television shows to watch ('Orange is the New Black' is great!  I highly recommend it!), I also have started practicing my figure drawing and quick sketching.  One day this week I took my practice into town and drew people in the plaza!  That's a first for me so it was pretty scary and exciting at the same time.  It went pretty well--better than I thought it would, anyway.  I hope to do it again soon.

Last night, the Alta Crew (United States students living in my neighborhood, Alta Córdoba) went out to celebrate with Flynn Broman who will be leaving this Wednesday.  We will miss her greatly!  Before we headed to the neighborhood Nueva Córdoba (where all the boliches are), we ate at a wonderful Mexican restaurant here in Alta.  I cannot express how happy I am to know there is such a great Mexican restaurant nearby!  I am in love with Mexican food/ spicy food and I have yet to encounter either here in Argentina.  The restaurant is called La Casa del Tatich and it is about 20 minutes walking distance.  It's a little expensive but you get a lot of food and it's a great environment (that of which reminded me of Little Mexico back home).  I got their beef tacos, five for 75 pesos (about 14USD).  I also tried hibiscus tea for the first time!  It was absolutely delicious!  I mean just look at it!

Credit: SimplyRecipes.com

We don't have school tomorrow because it is the holiday of General San Martin.  But classes then start Tuesday!  I'm pretty excited to get into the thick of it...and to have a schedule again.  Here's my schedule:

Translations: Conversation II, Composition, Advanced Grammar, Cultural Realities
(The "Intensivo: Español II" is the course we already finished.)

I will also be taking a photography class online through Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.  I hope that class will help me to capture my adventure here through better, more interesting pictures!  I'm stoked for this schedule.  I mean is it rockin', or is it rockin'?

Also, my mom and I decided that she will be coming to visit me here in Argentina!  She's already bought her plane tickets and everything!  She'll be coming in on October 24th and leaving November 2nd.  I can't wait to show her around the city!  She's already asked if we can experience the nightlife here to which I told her I'd take her to a bar--something I really didn't expect to say to my mom, at least not now.  But I really can't wait!  Plus I think she is mailing me a package tomorrow and that's always exciting.  If any of you would like to send me mail--and please do!!--here are my addresses:

For letters:
Jessica Claycomb
Baigorri 48 Alta Cordoba CP 5001
Cordoba Capital. Republica Argentina


For packages:
Jessica Claycomb
Spanish Studies Abroad 
The Center for Cross-Cultural Study 
Atención: Alejandra Acosta
Bolivia 257, 4to. piso “C” 
Nueva Córdoba (X5000CJE), Córdoba, Argentina


Besos!
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment